Originally Posted By: drakino
Originally Posted By: DWallach
If you've got the proper "Google Experience" phone (currently the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus), it's all rainbows and unicorns. Beyond that, things degrade.

Google just needs to force all their employees to run non "Google Experience" phones for a year. I'd bet the situation would start to improve shortly after.

I really doubt that. I'm sure Google knows the problem, because it's not them that's creating the problem or is able to do much about it. It's the manufacturers and the carriers that are mucking this up. Google did put Android in this position by making it open in the first place, and the manufacturers took Android, ran with it, then closed it again.

Currently it looks like Google's only recourse is their new Nexus initiative, where supposedly they'll allow multiple Nexus devices, which will be sold unsubsidized on the Google Play store, but can't be sold there unless it's running plain Android.

As someone who also rushed out to get the Galaxy Nexus on release morning because he thought he was getting a true Nexus device, I'm seriously pissed off at Verizon and Samsung, and will most likely not patron either of them for my phones in the future.

But in the end, I'm pretty jazzed about my Galaxy Nexus right now. Jelly Bean is phenomenal! I haven't had this kind of performance increase since Froyo and the JIT compiler, and the feature upgrades easily earn the .1 version increase.