But, as already said, it's not just the buttons that are needed. It's great if you know how to solder surface mounted ICs with an extreamly small pin seperation. But for the majority of people, they just can't do that. I have decent soldering expereince and I don't know if I could do that without screwing anything up. Isn't there another place that the backlit buttons could draw power from? What about straight from the DC power supply line with it's own voltage regulator? That way the backlit buttons will only be on in the car. I know that there are some people that will want to use the backlit buttons when plugged in at home. Maybe it could pull a high/low signal which corresponds to the display brighness to also control the button on and off. I don't know enough about the circuit to know if this is possible, and if it is would it be a location easy enough for the average person to solder to? But wouldn't this make it easier to "hook up" the new circuit this way? Wouldn't it avoid micro-soldering?