The best article I've found on USB 3.1's new "type C" connector is from Anandtech. The important bits:
Quote:
The connector will be reversible, and able to negotiation which end is host or client (direction-agnostic) with type c connectorization at both ends, although cables will still come in type-A to type-C combinations for use with power adapters and current generation hosts. In addition it will be around the same size as the current USB 2.0 Micro-B connector and catered toward enabling the kinds of thin and sleek industrial designs smartphone, tablet, and even notebook OEMs desire. Type C will work with USB 3.1 and the power delivery specification, in addition to including some extra pins for growth and building out the standard in the future, the goal is to make this the connector for the next 10 years. In addition, the standard will define an intermediary adapter for going from current 2.0 or 3.0 micro-B connectors to the new type C connector.

Seems like the all-singing all-dancing solution to everything. I would expect this to quickly obsolete the ugly USB 3.0 "siamese" connectors. I would also expect it to take a while to come out while all the all-singing-all-dancing kinks are worked out in committee.