Please don't get me wrong If I turned the gains on the Rockford Fosgates way down the noise was better, but then whats the point of haveing a big system if all your amps are turned down?

Because you get the best quality from the audio if your desired "maximum" volume is 0db on your head unit. This adjusts the dynamic range of the amps to match the dynamic range of the head unit. Remember that your amps aren't really "turned down", you're just balancing the input gain. The overall capability of the amp to "get loud" isn't affected, you're just dialing in the cleanest possible sound in relation to the desired maximum volume from your head unit.

Obviously, for some installations, ground loop problems can induce enough noise so that even when the amplifier inputs are tuned properly, there is still noise in the outputs. I don't know if this was the case for you or not. But if you're ready to blow out your speakers when the head unit is set at -20db, then you're not getting the best possible sound out of the system.

This is a good rule of thumb for all car audio installations, not just the Empeg.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.