Kim, I know this was brought up before and at the time it did not sound like you and smu where heading in the same direction with your respective projects. But, now that the empeg has been EOL'd would you reconsider releasing the work you have done so far for the rest of us to use?

As pointed out before, at this stage, it's more useful to find someone who could help with the map data and test the program in other environment to find out how it would work. Then it would already be one step closer to build a package that other people could try out.

Believe me, it's more than 500kb of source code, kernel modifications, custom partitions and other changes here and there, and it still needs work to have it in condition where other people could use or benefit from it -- and the maps are the first thing.

Releasing the code is an option too, but that would require a lot of preparation and time to make it suitable for that. And as far as there are no maps or format knowledge available, the source is not going to help getting it running. Surely, you could rip some code and hack a simple GPS coordinate viewer, but what's stopping doing it already? I've posted the kernel modifications for adding a screen and audio overlay with the player application, and for anyone who has intermediate programming skills, it does not take too long to write a simple app to read NMEA ascii strings from GPS receiver (thru serial port) and display those on the screen.

Kim