This has probably been said somewhere else, but for us US users, the US Census Department puts out all the data you could ever want. You can download their database of addresses, streets, landmarks (i.e. airports, stadiums, etc.), and all that jazz. They also give you a nice little 309 page manual for how all the information is presented, etc.

This looks good... I recall visiting on some Tiger/Line pages but back then it didn't fascinate, but I bet it was before the Tiger 2000 data set was released.

I roughly read the tech spec yesterday, and it seems to have nice amount of information available. However, I was still wondering the following:

a) Does it provide valid one-way street information? I saw there is some kind of feature field which had N,S,E,W type of info, but can that be used reliably to determine which way you can drive the road?

b) There didn't seem to be any road specific speed limits. Could the road type (street, road, avenue, etc) be used as such? How well those reflect to the speed limits/average driving speeds?

I'll take a deeper look into the tech spec and the data as soon as I have time, but meanwhile, is there anybody in the US with a GPS receiver (which outputs ascii NMEA sentences) who could be able to gather some log (preferably from the streets, while driving) and sending it to me?

Kim