ClownBurner,

Sorry for the delay but I do now have some results to share.

I have reduced the noise to where it is tolerable for me but probably woiuld not yet be considered "audiophile" quality. I have cut the Becker ground (large brown wire on pin 8 of the black connector on th eback of the Becker) and returned it to one of the 6 mm studs under the console. I have the Porsche wiring diagrams (2000 model year) and this is welded to the body and considered a primary ground reference. You can find it by pulling off the driver's side carpeted panel on the console and looking just behind (toward the rear of the car) the airbag sensor assmbly.

The Empeg ground is returned to the same point. I still have the #12 wire between the two units as removing it causes a substantial increase in noise level.

The alternator noise is bad, in the Empeg only. I was able to reduce it by adding a generic line filter to the +12 input to the Empeg. It is now at about the same level as the Empeg noise sources.

I would estimate the signal to tnoise ratio to be about 40-45 db. This estimate is obtained by reducing the Empeg volume until the music and noise sound about the same amplitude. I usually run the Empeg set to -9 db as this balances the level with the Becker radio and CD sources. I run the Becker at about 20 typically and the noise is really inaudible when the engin is running and the car is moving. With the doors closed, windows up and car and engine stopped, I can hear the noise still at a very low level when I pause the Empeg. I realize I can gain some S/N improvement by turning up the Empeg but it is nice to have all sources at the same level.

I have tried both a DC-DC inverter (supplying the Empeg +12 line) and a Radio Shack Ground Loop Isolator in the Empeg output lines. Both eliminate the Empeg noise from the Becker and both have other disadvantages.

I am eager to hear the results of your experiments.

On another subject, I saw in another of your posts that you had made a display filter to move the Empeg amber closer to the Becker/Porsche amber. I do not have access to AutoCAD or CorelDraw so I am wondering if you have the template in any more generic format that you could forward?

Thanks,

Lynn