as this is a standard for pull-out units

You mean WAS a standard for pull-out units. Before they stopped making them in favor of removable faceplate units. I'm still stinging from the fact that my removable-faceplate CD was stolen. I only bought it because my pullout CD was old and didn't have any anti-skip memory. Oh well, the Empeg is soothing that wound nicely. Ahhhh.... nice Empeg...

This might result in a two-piece faceplate; molded black (?) smooth gloss plastic that snaps over the coloured clear part to reduce transparency.

I had thought of this, too. It would be cool if the black plastic were thick enough to end up flush with the buttons and the front of the handle, giving it a really "finished" appearance. It could cover the screws on the front panel as well as covering the screw that are visible on the inside edges of the handle when it's closed. You'd have to sculpt its shape a bit, so that the recesses for the display, IR, and standby light don't look odd. Also, you'd neet to put a sculpted notch at the bottom so that the user can grab the handle.

The black plastic could snap over the top edge of the clear-plastic part (you'd make the clear plastic part have smaller dimensions to accomodate it) and into new tab-holes cut on the bottom edge of the clear part.

Wow, if done properly, it could take care of the silver-paint-edge thing, too.

Ooo! Oooo!! Hey, you know how the latest trend in car stereos is different-colored plastic faces? Empeg could do that, too! You could buy different colored "lenses" for the video color, and different colored/patterned "faces" for the plastic part. Heh.

You know what? I think I'd whip up a piece of concept art for this and post it here. My only question is whether or not the IR interface has moved in the Mk2 version to accomodate the knob.

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.