Here's the concept art I promised.

The concept is as follows: Modifications to the edges of the clear plastic Empeg faceplate could allow a snap-on molded plastic front. Such a cover would not only hide the visible screws, but would allow another level of customization: A user could order different colors/patterns for the plastic cover, in the same way that they can do it for certain models of car CD players. This cover would be about as thick as necessary to come up flush with the button tops and the front face of the handle. A small sculpted "notch" below the display (not illustrated very well in my picture) allows the user to pull the handle out.

(Note that I have no idea where the IR window or the knob will go, or how big they will be.)

I've drawn four different colors: Black, Dark Metallic Green, Dark Metallic Blue, and a psychadellic purple pattern. It doesn't have to stop there- the plastic could be molded with different cool patterns. (I'm hoping everyone's already seen this sort of thing on other consumer electronics products, so they know what I'm talking about.)

This is just an idea, of course. Empeg has made a great product, and I certainly don't have any delusions about thinking I can tell Empeg how to do their job. It's simply a response to Rob's question about whether or not the users would like a molded display. The purpose of this concept image is to better visualize what such a faceplate might look like.

Would something like this affect my decision to buy a player? Not me, no. I bought the Empeg because I wanted an in-car MP3 player with enough capacity to hold my entire CD collection. I would have bought it even without the cool display. But "Joe Consumer" is another story...

-- Tony Fabris -- Empeg #144 --
Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining good eye.