I wouldn't put much faith in most review summaries of the V1. All of the reviewers claim to hate the ergonomics, because they seem to prefer fiddling with tiny little buttons rather than a nice quick twist of the knob on a V1. I've had both kinds, and the V1 is WAY simpler to use.

My suspicion is that since V1 sells direct, with few ads and no middlemen, the magazines/sites don't like them so much cuz they don't get a "cut" from them. Same as any PC mag comparing MS products with others.. MS always wins because they buy the biggest ads.

Back to that site.. they claim the "locator" feature to be not worthwhile.. Excuse me? Driving without those arrows is like driving blind. You've got no idea at all where the source of the radar is, and without that information.. any detector is damn near useless.

They also complained about 3 bogus alerts in a hick town somewhere.. the V1 is very sensitive, and reports EVERYTHING, unless you tell it not to. Two presses of the knob and it's then in "Logic" mode where nearly all bogus warnings disappear, leaving only the "real" ones, and the occasional too-strong-to-ignore bogus source.

Sheesh! If you need an Empeg in your car, then you could not possibly be happy with anything less than a V1.

I keep my V1 remote display stuck to the dash with black peel-and-stick velcro, with another patch of velcro under the dash for discreet storage. Works great, took 20 seconds to install.

Concealing the main unit is trickier, but I do like the idea of installing it into the ceiling trim.

Cheers