Something which occurred to me while discussing the empeg.com web site.

Linux is released under the GPL. The GPL mandates that whoever distributes or redistributes it must make available the source code.

Problem: I don't have the source code for the version of Linux installed on my empeg. (is it available somewhere? If not, it needs to be - soon - before someone complains loudly about it, bringing the FSF and others to turn their attention to it)

Worse Problem: If I sell my unit, according to the GPL, *I* am responsible for providing the source code for whatever version I have installed on the unit at the time (because _I_ am the one redistributing the binaries at that point), otherwise *I* could bear the brunt of legal hassles.

I don't even know where *I* can find the code, let alone be able to give it to a purchaser if they asked for it.

Can we get this problem corrected before others force a correction upon us? :) I'm not planning on selling my unit, but a number of people have already done so, and as near as I can tell, have opened themselves up for a fairly serious GPL violation as it stands right now.

D