Posted by Bruce Perens

The Bruce Perens ? :-)

Guys, let's get over with this, please! Hugo, DO include verbatim GPL text somewhare in the distribution, along with prescribed offer to provide source code. Having several CD-Rs with Debian distribution and your patches handy will not kill you, either.

BTW, I don't have impression that even greatest FSF 'zealots' are that crazy. Remember, there was a lot of 'bad blood' in the movement concerning 'Free Softvare' vs 'Open Source', with Richard Stallman accusing 'The Bazaar' Eric, 'Maddog' Hall (then in DEC), 'VA' Augustine and even Linus himself of 'commercialization' (or prostitution) of The Movement, but I think things have cooled down considerably. (When receiving an award from Linus (I think is was some IDG-sponsored Open Source award), Richard even said he did not insist on the name 'GNU/Linux' anymore...)

Most people here are audiophiles and general tech geeks, not particularly Linux geeks. The fact that general audience benefits from free software in the way we see here is a kind or realization of Stallman's dream. I really don't think we should be affraid of 'FSF zealots' trying to catch Hugo on some technicality, but, on the other hand, sticking to the letter of the GPL does not cost so much (I think we agree Hugo sticks to it's spirit already).

Cheers!

P.S. I am happily using GNU programs and, later, Linux both proffesionally and privatly for ten or so years now, and I appreciate them being free in both meanings of the word.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue