Knowing where to get the code is not the issue.

Case in point: Corel. Look at the backlash they suffered because they were not making the source code for their beta Linux distro available. They were threatened by license-owners of GPL'ed code with lawsuits.

This is EXACTLY the same situation. There are people who go around "spot-checking" for GPL violations, asking for the source code to any/all GPL'ed apps, to check to see if people distributing GPL'ed code are living up to their committment.

If I download, for example, the developer image (or actually ANY image, if there is GPL'ed code on it), I have a right to say "Hey, I want the sources to all this so I can compile it myself, and the GPL says you have to give it to me, so cough it up." Empeg cannot (legally) point me at www.debian.org and tell me to get it from them, "cuz its the same", they have to provide it to me themselves. They have an obligation under the GPL to do that for a certain number of YEARS.

I'm not claiming that they're not decent people. I think I've talked with just about everyone there at some point in time via e-mail, and they're all great people. What I'm trying to do is make them realize that they've got to get prepared for this, otherwise someone WILL piss and moan and cause bad press for them in the open-source community, and that's a Very Bad Thing, because they're good guys. :)

D