Right, like I said, I see the consumer point of view. But you're stretching the analogy too far by comparing it to a defective tire. The panel isn't defective, it's just not as good as the new version that's coming out soon.

The only reason you consider it to be defective is because they're planning on shipping a better version. And if they hadn't told us about the better version, no one would have anything to complain about.

Your other point is well taken- is it cheaper to send out a bunch of $30.00 parts or to take returns on a $1500.00 product? That's really the root of the problem. Companies have to take cold, hard looks at questions like that. How likely will they get returns from customers in sunny climates? Are they willing to risk alienating customers and potential customers over it?

There's one other thing to consider that I hadn't thought about until now. They do those panels in batches. They probably don't have enough batched right now to cover shipping them to all Mark2 owners and still be able to get through the current queue. They're probably worried about being able to cover all their bases with current stocking projections.