I have to ask, and this is in response to FerretBoy's post in the other Bitt thread: what has he done?
I’m going to respond to DiGNAN’s post here, just to try and keep things focused (though clearly both threads are exploring the same waters).
I would like to hear what Bush has done in his term in this regard to warrant your faith in him.
Just for the record, I’ve been trying very hard not to open this particular can of worms, but I fear that it is inevitable so here goes:

Bush is an Evangelical Christian, and I have very little doubt about this. So much so that he was invited to speak at Second Baptist Church in Houston, TX while he was campaigning for presidency (I was a member there at the time). 2nd Baptist is a huge, VERY evangelical church, which is not normally in the habit of bringing just anyone in to speak in the pulpit. I’ll admit I was quite disappointed in what Bush had to say because it was very political, but even at that there was no doubt he shared my core, most important beliefs.

So why would I want an Evangelical Christian in office? Because I can trust his sense of right & wrong are derived from the same source as mine. We might not always come to the same conclusions, but I also don’t have to fear that he’s going to support something I find wildly off base. It is because I trust the source of Bush’s moral compass that I still don’t believe he invaded Iraq to gain oil or finish some vendetta. I also can’t fathom him knowing about 911 and not stopping it if he had the power. Those notions simply don’t jive with what I know of Bush and what drives him.

It seems to me that Bush has made some mistakes. That isn’t surprising. He’s human and in a position of great power, meaning his mistakes carry large consequences. In fact, I think he’s behaved badly, especially about being clear about his reasons for going to war. Because of these things, I’d prefer to put someone else in office. BUT, what I do appreciate about him is that no matter what mistakes he’s made, I believe they come out of an earnest desire to meet the same values that I hold. And I suppose I’d rather be stuck with someone who might make mistakes following what I consider the right path than someone who might do very good following the wrong one.

And truth be told, I could be wrong about Bush. He may just lip service the faith and be using it for political gain. If that’s the case then I really do need to open my eyes. But from what I’ve seen and experienced of the man I feel that I can trust his motives.