The point is that she's gone to church basically every Sunday of all her years (she's about 70), claims to be a religious person, but doesn't know simple facts outside the tiny realm of her own denomination.

I'll easily admit to not being strong in the Catholic faith into which I was raised. However one thing I will say is the (all male) Catholic high school I went to did offer (require, actually) a comparative religions class so that each student got at least some level of understanding of religions and of major Christian denominations. I think they did a good job of it.

It was a good enough school that we had a good number of non-Catholics; At least one person in my year and one in the year before me were practicing Jews, and the one in the year before me rode my bus, so we got to see how many religious holidays he missed On the other hand, I didn't know any practicing Muslims while I was there.

Despite becoming considerbly more liberal than I was in those days, I'd probably consider sending my sons there, if I planned to have any. It was a balanced education, even the hot buttons: we talked about evolution in biology, and health class included sexual education which included but was not biased to abstinence as a means of birth control. I wouldn't go so far as to say college was of no use, but given what I'm doing with my life, the undergraduate degree I got will never be of much use to me, and the non-major coursework didn't really help either.

Oh, and high school was fun, whereas college crushed my soul. But now, instead of being "merely" off topic for the thread I am considerably off topic. Sorry.