[sigh] So, here I am again, cap in hand, asking for help [/sigh]

I tried this 'oh so simple' task of just adding a line to my init file but it was too difficult for me.

I echoed the cat command to append to the init file, which worked but a reboot failed to activate the codes.

As I have DisplayServer installed and I noticed that it calls the original init file I thought that I would try to put the cat command before the DisplayServer calls. I couldn't do this on the empeg so I copied the parts of the file to notepad, inserted my cat command and sent the file to the empeg. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed the message that popped up when I set the unit to rw that made mention of having to run some 2fsck command. I rebooted my empeg and could only get up to the following prompt:

init-2.03#

Cursing my incompetence I ended up reinstalling a new image and adding the required kernel hacks. To be sure, I entered emplode, deleted a track and synched which took quite a while. I figured it was stupid trying to add the cat command before the original init gets loaded cuz the IR codes probably get overwritten again. So, I'm back to an init file that likes look this:

#!/bin/bash
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,rw /proc
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
[ -e /proc/ide/hdb ] && /bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hdc4 /drive1

cd /usr/local/displayserver
./displayserver
exec /sbin/init.before_displayserver
cat /tmp/CDSR80_IR.txt > /proc/empeg_ir

Should I be adding something to this file or to the original init file that gets called from it? Not something I think I really want to do after looking at it.

Steve - 18GB Mk II Sssmokey

2x80GB Mk II with Illuminated buttons