How about the issue I'm gaving now...

People who have never contacted me before can do so through a form on the web. Because spammers were trying to abuse the form I implemented some logging after my last round of security tuning. As an aside, all spam through that channel is now 100% gone.

The logging is in the form of an email that gets sent to our support2007 address containing details about the real contact email (it's headers, user's IP, etc..). Both the log email and proper email are sent in the same way with the same mail command only a few lines apart in the same script. The server the PHP is running on is Dreamhost's and the mailboxes are also at Dreamhost.

Over the past few weeks I will receive the log message but won't receive the real contact message. This doesn't always happen, but has happened enough that it's been a real nuissance. A couple of times neither message has come through - this I know because someone wrote a second time to ask why I hadn't replied to the first message.

I suppose it's due time I create a log FILE on disk at the server rather than a second email which can also be hosed. It wasn't an issue before since outgoing and incoming mail wasn't the issue I was trying to log.