Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
AVG 9.0 (2 licenses)............$ 55...I appreciated the free AVG so much I upgraded though I didn't need to.
Completely unneeded.

dbpoweramp ripper...............$ 36...Much more polished and faster than EAC.
Faster than EAC because it doesn't use the secure ripping methods that EAC does. Which are largely not needed. There are any number of free CD ripping utilities for Linux. I'm not aware of any that support EAC's secure ripping methods, but I haven't looked in a while, either.

Driver Detective................$ 40...Expired now, I won't renew it.
Unnecessary

Hyperterminal Private Edition...$ 60...Regular HT doesn't work well with empeg.
Waste of money, even under Windows. There are better free options for virtually any OS. Under Windows, I use PuTTY for a terminal emulator these days.

Infothek Scan 11................$ 00...This was purchased for me by my employer, list cost $80.
There are a variety of scanner frontends for Linux. Don't know what might be special about this one.

Microsoft Office 2003...........$ 00...Employer (site license), they said I could keep it.
Um, that's in violation of Microsoft's license. OpenOffice.org works just fine. There are certainly differences. I find that they work in OO.o's favor about half the time and in Office's favor about half the time. (And mere irrelevancies the "other" half the time.) There are other free options, too.

MP3 Tag Studio..................$ 19...So useful, no way was I going to deprive Magnus of his two sawbucks.
Unlike many of the other programs here, this won't work under Wine, because it's written using self-modifying code (!). I had a problem with it because of that and Magnus basically told me to take a flying leap. That said, there are a variety of free tagging programs for Linux.

Nero 7..........................$ 30...Older version came bundled with DVD burner, upgrade -->7 was ~$30.
Wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole under Windows anymore, if I could help it. They keep adding bloat while making the burning part seemingly worse. Again, a variety of options under Linux. Free options for Windows, too.

Quake III Arena.................$ 40...and worth every penny! Bought it the day it came out.
Released for Linux shortly after the Windows version came out.

Rosetta Stone Spanish...........$395...Expensive, but necessary.
You got me here. AFAIK, there is not any equivalent to Rosetta Stone.

Total Recorder Professional.....$ 30...For use with my professional recording studio.
There are free audio editors. I have no idea what might be special about this one.

Tunebite v6.....................$ 30...For removing DRMs from audio books downloaded from the library.
Just an analog hole exploiter. I'm sure there's something equivalent, again, for free.

TurboFloorPlan 3D...............$ 80...I have spent hundreds of hours with this program designing my house.
Dunno much about architectural CAD for Linux.

WM Recorder.....................$ 30...Semi-satisfactory program for capturing internet video and audio.
I don't have much knowledge in this area, either, but I have seen things in the past.

I probably have well over 100 other applications installed, nothing pirated, mostly applets and utilities like

Adobe Reader
Available for Linux for free, though there are better PDF viewers for both Linux and Windows

Auslogic Defrag
Unneeded under Linux, better free options for Windows.

ClipTrak
There are a variety of such utilities for Linux, including one that's a stock part of the GUI.

Emplode
JEmplode, though I do find that Emplode tends to work better.

Google Earth
Available for Linux

memtest
Not specific to any OS.

Microsoft ICE
The photo stitcher. I have no knowledge here. I imagine Mark does.

Recuva
There are undelete applications, though backup is always preferable.

TweakUI
I can assure you that you can tweak more of the UI on Linux than you can on Windows.

ZDoom
There are a huge variety of Doom engines for Linux.

I don't think there would be free Linux substitutes for dbpoweramp, Rosetta Stone, Tunebite, TurboFloorPlan
You might be right with those.

Quake III
You're definitely wrong here, though.