Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
Originally Posted By: Archeon
The Intel SSD's are still amongst the best. Then there's the ones based on the Indilinx chipset like the OCZ Vertex or the ones based on the Sandforce chipset (like OCZ Vertex 2). Avoid all others.
How about Kingston? I'd always heard that their memory chips were among the best.

As long as it uses an Indinlinx or Sandforce chipset, you're good. Don't buy anything else. The brand, like Kingston, is not all that important, the used chipset is. I believe Kingston uses Samsung memory chips anyway (most SSD munfacturers do).

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.

Originally Posted By: Archeon
Also keep in mind: if you clone a regular HD to an SSD, almost certain your SSD drive's partitions will not be aligned. Make sure to align them properly before continuing to use it. Performance will be degraded immensely if you don't.
Isn't that an XP problem that doesn't arise with Vista and later versions? I know that the documentation that came with my 2-TB drives said I had to align them or use a jumper to force alignment if I was using XP, but that Vista and Windows 7 did not require it. Perhaps the SSDs are different?

While it's true the problem doesn't arise with Vista and 7, this is only true IF you do the partitioning with said OS'es. But if you clone an older HD to SSD, and the older HD was not partitioned with Vista or 7 to begin with, the target drive, in this case the SSD, won't be aligned either. Vista or 7 will not magically align an unaligned partition if you used it with those OS'es, you'll need to do that manually.