I recently decided to start the process of getting healthier, as I have been overweight for about 10 years now. I could be doing more, but for now my thought is to just start moving more and start eating less.

To get into exercise, I've done a lot of walking. I typically walk five miles every morning, and in the past two weeks I've added a half-mile run to the end of those walks. Then I go about my day.

The dieting is much harder for me, but to start I cut out the worst of the bad eating habits and I'll work from there.

Doing everything all at once doesn't work for me. Behavioral changes happen for me if I introduce them to myself slowly. It's been working, and I'm very happy about that. My next goal for exercise is to slowly ratchet up the running distance. I don't know what my next diet goal is, but I have to pick something.

Oh, and I've been using technology to help me. I purchased a Fitbit and a WiFi Scale. I LOVE the Fitbit because I'm a data nut. I like tracking my progress, meeting goals, that sort of thing. The scale will come into play a little later. I've decided that once I lose 10 pounds, I'm going to start having the scale post my weight to Twitter as a sort of "public shaming" method to losing the rest of the weight I want to shed.

So yeah, I have a big goal, but I'm hoping I'll make it. I have a related question that I'll post in another thread so as not to take this one off topic.