Atkins is not a fad diet, it teaches you and your body what your body needs and where it's natural balance is. Everyone judges it on the first stage, which you only do for a very short period. Then you move onto increasingly balanced stages once you have reached certain goals. I don't think people read the book, or at least it appears that way.

I've lost 3 stone on Atkins, and I have another 2-3 stone to loose to be back at the weight I was when we last met face to face. I have given myself until our ski trip at the end of January to loose another stone then a year to get to my target weight and fitness level.

Things I have found that my body doesn't need on a regular basis are bread, pasta, sweets (candy) and sugared drinks. I plan to control my intake of these foods but will for example have bread when I feel like it rather than on a regular habit basis like at breakfast.

I have missed fruits while on the initial stages of Atkins, I am enjoying introducing some fruits and juices back in. I have been careful to balance the lack of vitamins and minerals with substitutes, this is often over looked I think.

The real truth of it any massive diet change can be unhealthy, they are all the same really. But going into it informed and knowing the signs of you not doing things quite right are very important. On Atkins I have had to increase my salt intake a little, I never used to have to add salt to my meals. Noticing the signs and making an adjustment is all in the book, but so many people I have heard about don't seem to have listened.

One other point I'd like to make is I haven't needed, at this point, pay out for some rip off diet product. I would include Atkins own products in this, they are such a scam. Learning what your body needs and learning a few new cooking techniques is all I needed to do.

Cheers

Cris.