My current plan is exaclty that- the first 1K is payed for and the next 2K is on us. After that everything is covered. Most people don't make it past the first 1K if they are selective about their doctors, where they get prescriptions filled, etc.

By "most people", I mean the majority of the people on this plan.

I don't think doctors are nefarious- it's a complicated system and they have little motivation to find the most cost effective treatments. I've definitely had doctors prescribe us some very expensive medication when other medication would do- often the insurance company pushes back, which DOES end up with a more cost efficient treatment, but meanwhile the patient is caught in the middle waiting for the treatment while the doctor and insurance get their ducks in a row.

How many people do you know that factor in price when picking a pharmacy? I don't know of anyone who does, yet they do not all charge the same. When consumers become responsible for the choices they make, they will start making better choices.