Just to say what I might not have said earlier a little more clearly: as long as insurance means "I play a $15 co-pay and I get to see whatever doctor I want (in my network) and I pay $10 and get any drug I want" you do not have incentives for doctors and pharmacies to compete on price. Ultimately the consumer DOES pay, but the effect (rising health care costs) is removed from the cause (I used expansive services and treatments) and you are a slave to the choices of those whom share your plan- even if you do use a cheaper pharmacy, if everyone else goes the expensive route your premiums will get higher.

And these rising costs DO effect those without insurance because those prices are being set to cater to those with insurance (though often doctors have different prices for those without insurance).

Or at least I assume that's the way it works. I have no direct knowledge- it just seems to me that in a system where the consumer does not make choices based on price those setting the prices are free to jack them as high as they can.