Originally Posted By: Tim
Originally Posted By: JeffS
I've definitely had doctors prescribe us some very expensive medication when other medication would do- often the insurance company pushes back, which DOES end up with a more cost efficient treatment, but meanwhile the patient is caught in the middle waiting for the treatment while the doctor and insurance get their ducks in a row.

How long does that usually take? I get knee injections twice a year that takes less than a week to get authorized (I don't know how the cost of those compare to your costs, though).
We haven't had too many problems with the big operations. My Wife's pain doctor is pretty aware in advance of what issues may arise with the insurance. In fact, with her current pain doctor we haven't had too many problems at all- but with previous doctors my wife would get a pain prescription and at the point of getting it filled we get push back so we have to call the doctor (who has gone home for the evening). Even if it takes an evening to get things resolved, I get the choice of just paying myself or watching my wife cry in pain while this stuff gets worked out. Usually it's the former, I'll admit.