Originally Posted By: mlord
I think what he meant was that most of the car features related to this are to detect critical situations, warn the driver of them, and react autonomously (eg. emergency braking) if the driver fails to respond.

Precisely.

Current Autopilot will eventually lead to actually self-driving cars, of course, but even then, the point in time in the future when the vehicle CAN drive itself, that will not imply that the driver becomes a passenger and accidents are considered legally (or morally?) caused "by the car". That would be a further step in the future, when society decides we can rely entirely and only on technology to control a vehicle.

TODAY, Tesla Autopilot is not such thing, neither in theory nor in practice, even though practically it can do a lot of the driving.
I am not sure what you mean, K447, but my understanding is that Tesla Autopilot is exactly an advanced system to assist in emergencies:
- car can follow lanes in most cases, so if you get distracted or fall asleep it will keep the car in the lane for you
- car can break for you, if you get distracted or fall asleep
- car can assist you in changing lanes for you, insuring nobody is coming from behind, adjusting speed and steering, etc.

The fact that these things may equate to "self driving" to most practical purposes, does not mean that IS a self-driving system.

Maybe in 5 years. Maybe in 10.

Today, in a Tesla car you are required to keep you hands on the steering wheel, not watch Harry Potter.

I LOVE where Tesla is going and what they're doing, but I would never watch a movie in a 2016 Model S instead of keeping my eyes on the road.

Which is why this accident was not caused by the Autopilot system, but by human misunderstanding of what the technology is capable of and what its current purpose is, in spite of all disclaimers.

Having said that, I agree that how real automatic piloting systems and human action overlap/interact is non-obvious - your point is very very interesting.
I don't think it applies here though.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg