I guess we have to agree to disagree, then smile

I actually do agree with your point that

Quote:

the actual car, seduces (some, perhaps many) people into trusting the apparently impressive capabilities beyond what is actually 'safe'.

My point is that that is a human issue, not a technology one, just as texting while driving is a human issue and not a problem inherent to mobile phones.

Which does not mean that phones should not be designed to cope with that problem of course, if at all possible; and, Tesla will be upgraded progressively to cope with human wrong behavior (starting from next to be release software v 9.0, actually!).

I also want to comment on this:

Quote:
Self-driving cannot be a 'solved problem' if the necessary sensors and compute power are not yet available.

What that means is that Tesla knows how to solve a problem, in software terms. They need a powerful enough computer for such technology to be fast enough to be useful. Consider that we're talking of a very fast response to the environment. This is the core of their cooperation with AMD, actually.

Knowing how to solve a problem and not having a powerful enough computer to perform all calculations is a common situation in science, actually. wink

Edited by Taym (04/07/2016 20:57)
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg