K447, I understand what you're saying. Here's where I don't agree.

Your point applies to Airplanes, where "Autopilot" is supposed to be used. Similarly, it will apply to cars 10 years from now, when "Autopilot" will be officially a thing, regulations of sorts will be in place, and a precise expectation will be there on how to use that.
In that context, it is interesting to see how all parameters work together. Quality and extensiveness of Autopiloting (sensors, logic, hardware, etc), human interaction (how will we, drivers, be trained to use the Autopilot in driving schools, for example), ways the Autopilot will adopt to "hand over" control and/or alert humans, etc.

Today, it is a whole different story. Tesla nowhere ever tells you you can let the car drive itself. Laws and regulations, when they exist, tell you not to. I would personally add: common sense tells you not to.
Now, the accident here was caused by a human dramatically overestimating the system capability, or, maybe, his own capability to intervene.
If I had to find a parallel to something currently familiar, I'd actually think of drink and driving, or using drugs and driving. When intoxicated, people assume they can drive, they are capable to react and evaluate physics around them, as well as to have common sense and sound judgement. That is clearly a severe misjudgment. Same goes here: this person severely misjudged what the system was for and is capable of.

The problem I see here is entirely human, at the individual level, and possibly at the society level - we don't fully understand what this stuff really is and how we're supposed to use it (and, maybe, lack of regulations may be a contributing factor. Maybe.). There's possibly a lack of expectations on us, when we are on cars with such features: "what am I supposed to do, what is right?"
I also agree a lot of Tesla owners are behaving irresponsibly.

But all of this is human error, not technology issues.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg