Originally Posted By: Tim

I think the problem is that Tesla is treating an automobile as a software product, and letting the public beta test it. They have been proclaiming how their cars have been updated with autopilot, while in fine print saying don't trust it and pay attention while the car is driving.

This is interesting, as I largely agree, but from a radically different perspective. smile

Certainly Teslas are "computers on wheels", as they described their cars. And certainly that is a unique view in the automotive industry. Tesla does releases "beta" products and lets users test them, and does so openly. They actually advertise this quite a lot.

Per se, I think that is good, actually, and also unavoidable considering how the industry is obviously evolving. Even without Tesla pushing in that direction more than anyone else, such change in the industry was/is easily predictable.

That does not mean less safety, though. Equating "beta" to "unsafe" is wrong, I think.
When it comes to safety, I consider Teslas significantly safer than virtually all competitors' cars. Statistics on Autopilot Teslas seem to prove they ARE in fact safer. If then you consider how irresponsible many Tesla owners are being, I am impressed at how good the Autopilot is.

Also, I don't think other less software-minded manufacturers are bringing cars to market that are less "beta" then Teslas. I'd think the opposite, both when it comes to safety and when it comes to other features. My 2003 Audi A3 had a poorly designed clutch that would let 1st gear stuck (manual transmission) and traction would be there even with clutch pedal all down (!!), or, it cut my hand (blood on it) because of poorly metal finishing on the shift lever (I almost ended up in the other lane because of the sudden pain and surprise). And, these are two of the most popular issues with that "traditional" car, if you go and read forums of those years.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg