Originally Posted By: DWallach
I've noticed that there's this crazy syntax for writing out patterns for what sorts of calls to forward vs. whatever. It looks kinda like regular expressions, but not exactly. (See, e.g., this poor documentation.) What exactly is this stuff? Is it documented in anything beyond a list of examples?
Yes, that [Dialing Plan] stuff can take some time to get your head around.

Be aware that there are differences for the pattern matching depending on what it is being used for. Inbound matching syntax is slightly different than number dialing matching for outbound, and I recall there were some edge cases that confused me. Often the examples and syntax will only be described for one case (say outbound) and how it differs for inbound is not clearly explained. There are also vendor specific variations to the syntax.

The Obi pattern syntax is fairly 'normal' but when searching for examples online sometimes you will find otherwise valid syntax that is not entirely applicable to the Obi devices. It has been a while since I last needed to edit my own settings so I would need to brush up before diving in.

There are a lot of legacy underpinnings behind the telecom methods. Some of the options are rarely used anymore but persist for compatibility reasons or just because.

Edited by K447 (02/01/2017 14:59)