Originally Posted By: Dignan
And it's outside this discussion, but I'm so glad I'm out of our old condo. The WiFi situation there was insanity. A dozen networks on all the common channels and a few on other random ones.

That sounds like paradise to me.

I'm curious what improvements the next WiFi standard will bring to handle dense environments. At some point I'll run a scanner while walking around my apartment and the entire floor before I move. The WiFi menu on my mac can't fit fully on a 1680x1050 resolution, resulting it a menu with a scrollbar. I'd estimate the scan will end up seeing at least 150-200 networks from my apartment alone.

A few factors help amplify that number compared to past places I've lived:
  • The average apartment building is 7 stories, offering units anywhere from 250-2500sqft in size. Most of the apartments above the 3rd floor have wooden floors/walls so less radio absorption.
  • Condo buildings are also scattered around the neighborhood, some towering around 40 stories
  • Near a large body of water with active radar that causes a reduction of available 5ghz channels randomly (DFS)
  • A lot of apartments are occupied by tech savvy or tech employed people, increasing the average gadget per household count. I see chromecasts, smart tvs, and all sorts of other things
  • Comcast is the cable provider here, lots of xfinity guest networks in households that have no router or computer equipment beyond a smartphone.

Mesh networking may be my only option for full apartment coverage at decent speeds. As it is, I have to have a repeater just outside the bathroom to cover an IoT scale that only supports 2.4GHz channels. It at least 802.11n, g is unusable with all the interference.

For now I’ll hold onto the Airports I have, and ponder what to replace them with later. While the rumors peg them as no longer being made or updated, a firmware update did go out recently. I’m guessing if they aren’t discontinued, the updates may be pending a stable APFS release for Time Capsule support. iOS 10.3 is going to APFS, and perhaps a new router from Apple would be running a variant of iOS instead of the current OS the lineup has ran for ages.

If they are ultimately discontinued, the AppleTV will carry on the duties of bonjour sleep proxy and homekit control while out of the house and I can start looking outside the ecosystem.