Originally Posted By: mlord
Quote:
EDIT: Ouch, just noticed the price tag. No way.

How about Luma Home Wifi instead, at (less than) half the price?

More like 2/3rds but definitely cheaper (and the same as Google WiFi). Although that looks like a temporary price, given than they also sell a two-AP package for $299. So I'm guessing that Google is putting a lot of pressure on these companies like Dan said.

Originally Posted By: mlord
If we were still in our old neighbourhood, I'd be tempted there. But the new neighbourhood is spread out enough here for a single AP to cover the whole two acres (less interference with the neighbours).

One side effect of mesh networks that I quite like is that, theoretically, you could have less interference with your neighbors in many scenarios. For example, my neighbor has his router in a room as close to my home as possible. I can tell he's juiced this thing pretty good because I'm getting strong readings from the far side of MY house. In theory, if he had a mesh network he wouldn't need to pump up that AP as much because there'd be coverage by other APs in other parts of his house. I'd really like to recommend this to him, but they're two of the only neighbors who talk to us (not the friendliest neighborhood), so I won't rustle feathers smile

Of course, this is just in theory. Unifi lets you set the APs to automatic signal strength and let the system figure it out, or you can set it manually. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who just max it out.