Right now in Boston the best I've found is The Same Old Place in Jamaica Plain. Great Pizza hand made by a family of italians in a small storefront. mmm tasty...

Aaaah, a nostalgia moment. I lved about 5 blocks away from TSOP from '78-'87. My reference pizza joint is actually the admittedly modest hole-in-the-wall Pino's in Cleveland Circle (may they never change!).

I grew up in NYC (unoffical Pizza capital of the US) and I guess I'm somewhat of a pizza purist/snob.

In understand. I commuted to NYC in '99 for 6 months and loved that aspect (a place called Suttons Pizza on 1st Ave around 63rd, particularly). I get a bit grumpy about pizza because it's so hard to find here in the Northwest.

I've had pizza in Italy and it was pretty good, but not anywhere near my ideal (if you need a fork, it ain't what I'd call pizza). On the other hand, there's something uniquely evocative about eating oven-baked pizza in a cafe about 50 feet away from where Gironolamo Savonarola was burned at the stake!

Ill step off the soap box now.

I was kidding about the divisive nature of pizza. I think it *is* possible to discuss civilly -- as long as no [censored] mentions pineapple!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.