I just got a new TV set, an LG 55LE5400 model. It's theoretically supposed to support HDMI 1.3. It has four HDMI inputs, and a digital audio optical output.

My theory was that I could use this TV to obtain all the audio from my HDMI-connected devices via their HDMI cables, and then use its single digital audio optical output to send the digital audio to my AV receiver. In other words, no more fiddling with a billion audio cords in the back of my AV receiver (which had too-limited audio input capability anyway), and now everyone would send their full range digital audio, via the TV's input selector, to a single optical input on the AV receiver.

However, with my devices, when I select them on the TV, I only get stereo digital audio through the TV to the AV receiver. Example: Placing a 5.1 surround DVD into the Playstation 3, the AV receiver shows only two channel stereo digital audio, the little 5.1 channel indicators do not light up.

If I were to connect the device directly to the AV receiver via its optical audio cable, I would get 5.1. However my AV receiver doesn't have enough inputs for me to do that with all the devices I want to do it with, so I was hoping the TV would solve that problem for me.

Anyway, I thought I could do this stuff with HDMI 1.3. Am I asking too much of the system to do this?