But I really hate these things.

I have come to accept and even like ATMs, even though I know that the motivation for banks to install them was not to make me happy but was to reduce labor costs.

With subsequent "innovations" like DIY check stands, though, I am more acutely aware of whose interests are being served. I refuse to use DIY check stands and won't shop at local merchants (like Fred Meyer) in future if I have a problem finding a live, breathing cashier.

Systems like these are often fine so long as your interaction doesn't raise any exceptions. 3-4 weeks ago at O'Hare airport (during an interrupted trip) I went to a manned check-in desk while a colleague (against my advice) went to an automated "Express" check-in. One minute later I had my boarding pass, but then had to wait about 15 minutes for my compatriot as the express system failed to digest some aspect of his checked baggage situation and advised him to pick up the handy telephone mounted on the console so that he could wait in a queue to iron things out with a real person.

Heh, I like that K-Mart "it scans or you tell *us* the price" policy. Would that other retailers would be so bold -- and not wind up Chapter 11!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.