I've always saved loads of time by checking in via the automated British Airways executive club check in system. You get your tickets out of a machine at the airport and check in online the day before when you select what seat you want. You don't have to queue as well.

Yes, actually, the various automatic check-in systems can be quite good for "no exception" situations. To clarify, in the O'Hare example, my colleague had the choice of going with me to a nearly-no-wait, frequent-flyer check-in desk or the "Express" line when we had been delayed overnight ...and rebooked ...and he had an upgrade ...and a checked bag...and so on and so on. he made the wrong choice under the circumstances.

I will say I *am* suspicious of "Express" systems (and E-tickets) in cases where travel is critical -- where you may want the carrier to shift you to another carrier to actually get yuou where you need to be. But that's another story. With United on the verge of Chapter 11, i'm starting to make *all* my tickets paper tickets!!

You get a lot of nasty looks from other people in the long queues though

Jimey don't do long queues!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.