I think you're missing something here. I believe that in addition to the fact that they are cheaper, many people buy the CDROM-based units because they can still easily play their CD's without another head unit or additional portable device.

It appears that while DVD devices can read normal CD's, this techonlogy doesn't use the same type of laser, and therefore might not be able to read normal CD's.

I don't believe that an artist will want to put more than 14-17 songs on a CD. I can point out several lenghtly albums that get a bit tiring by the end of a listen. There's just so much good song writing that a group can do for one album.

I don't know if you read my post well enough. I was talking about disc drives based on this technology. What this stuff is is simply storage in the 3rd dimension, and this is the way we are headed in the future. Who knows, maybe the empeg will be able to use this stuff some day.

All this is really moot, because by the time this stuff becomes affordable, the empeg will be obsolete anyway. This stuff won't do that to it.

DiGNAN