If we start putting user apps in /drive0/... instead of in /programs0/... as we did when we were using preinit, will they get overwritten by a software update and have to be reinstalled.

BZZZZZZT, wrong answer!

/Drive0/ is the MUSIC partion, it's not touched by a software upgrade. That's why it's GOOD to put things there. I now have GPSapp, empacman, and Emptris installed on my player on /drive0/ and they do not disappear after a software upgrade. All I need to do to make them reappear on the hijack menu is to install Hijack.

The other option was to create the /programs0/ partition, and yes, that works. BUT.... it has drawbacks:

- /Programs0/ is not there by default like /Drive0/ is.
- /Programs0/ requires a complex system of scripts and init-hacking to make it work, and even once you've done that, you STILL need to recreate the mount-points to access it after a software upgrade. Not for the faint of heart (and not something the novice user would do). Still more complicated than just putting stuff on /drive0/ and using the new Hijack.
- /Programs0/ is size-limited. Currently we don't have any userland apps that exceed its size, but someday we might. For instance, if we ever get some "real" mapping data for a GPS application, you might want that stored on the hard disk, and that might need the kind of unlimited play-space that /Drive0/ provides.

Seeing the advantages yet...?