Yeah, now you mention it, that may have been a driving factor for using /programs0.

I run telnetd out of /bin anyway - earlier versions of preinit had some mounting 'quirks', and I was also testing the 'mkprgpt' script at around that time, so I needed telnetd to be up before preinit had completed and drives had been mounted.

This does raise a very important issue -

[bold]Nothing can be running from /drive0 or /drive1 during sync - or sync will fail. It could possibly result in an fsck.[/bold]

That means that any EXEC lines should probably be ;@DC EXEC to avoid starting in AC mode. Anything that needs to be run in AC mode still needs to live in /bin or /programs0, at least for the time being.

How to get around this....I'm guessing that we'd need a kill script that gets called before remounting the music partitions. Somehow we'd need to keep track of the PIDs of userland apps. If they were all started from hijack, then I guess that the PIDs could be easily isolated and exposed somewhere in /proc. A problem might still remain if launcher was used to launch a true daemon though - killing launcher wouldn't kill the daemon.

More thought required.