Okay, seven lucky people will be receiving their docking stations over the next week or two.

There's nothing in the box other than the dock, some bubble wrap, two crumpled newspaper pages, and FOUR BLACK STICK-ON RUBBER FEET.

VERY IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS:

1. Try not to lose the rubber feet in the excitement of unpacking it all!

2. Do not tip the dock forward or upside down with your Empeg/RioCar unit inserted.. it may slide out and hit something hard.

3. There are two small black screws underneath the lid, just inside the front opening. By adjusting these, you can loosen/tighten the fit for your specific player -- making it easier/harder to slide in and out (on purpose or by accident..). The best way to adjust these screws is with a bent right-angle philips screwdriver. The Borg (Home Depot) sells these handy items. The other way to adjust them involves removing the four silver screws from the underside, which allows the underside to be removed for access to the internals.

4. Do NOT play with the wiring at the back. I am using whatever random hookup wires I have on hand here (lots of different kinds), and some of them do not take to repeated flexing as well as others, and may break off if the wiring area is overly disturbed. Easy enough for you to fix with a soldering iron, but better to avoid the need for fixing.

5. On all units after #002 there is a tiny adjustable resistor for the fan speed. I have already set this optimally for the lowest possible fan speed. If set any lower, the fan may not spin up every time, which could allow things to get overly hot. If you really want to screw around with it, use a small flat bladed jewellers screwdriver to turn the small white centre disc on the resistor. But be very careful -- it is soldered onto the back of the power jack, and might come loose if played with too much (it can take a little tweaking, but be very gentle with it). It is not necessary or even a good idea to remove the rear panel to access it.

6. Paint the exterior BEFORE sticking on the rubber feet! And use masking tape to keep paint out of the interior and off of the rear panel connectors.

7. Put on some nice tunes and veg out.

-ml

Edited by mlord (11/02/2003 10:12)