Okay, since I'm too lazy to do searches and stuff...

1. How easy/difficult is it to drop a hard drive into the RTV 5000 series? 40 hours is probably all I need right now, but if I ever wanna upgrade...

2. I'm assuming there are lots of nice tools for extracting shows to other computers and such?

3. A lot of the comments I remember reading about the 40xx series was that "it's great when it works." Most people have said that the Tivo is more "polished" than the RTV products with things like program guides, conflict resolution, etc. A few reviews said the RTV 5000's "feel slow" with program searches, and the search features on the Tivo are said to be much more featured. Random crashes are also mentioned. This comparison seems to be stating that, while the RTV's have more "whiz bang" features, the Tivo is better at doing what it's supposed to do.

I dunno, I'm not necessarily in the market for a PVR right now, but the price sure looks good. I just wouldn't want to buy it and have it unsupported in a year or two. It's not like I'll have the ReplayTV developers hanging around my favorite BBS...