The excuse is buffering the video. This, of course, would allow you to rewind live TV (instant replay anyone?). I won't tell you it's not slow. But I was a channel surfer myself until I got this thing. I was annoyed with the slow channel changes. But realistically, I never watch live TV anymore. Even if I'm home when something I want to see is on, I don't watch it then. I get stuff done, and come back and watch it when I feel like it.

As for the actual speed of channel changes, you're looking at buffering live video at high quality on a machine about equal to an empeg Mk2a. My own experience with a stock 5040 is a little under 3 seconds with the new software. Others have reported that drive upgrades using 8MB cache drives (WDs & Maxtors) have also decreased those times.

Basically it came down to taking the chance. I liked ReplayTV's features, so I did. And I couldn't be happier. I don't channel surf or jump between two channels anymore. I actually spend less time in front of the tube. That's how it works for me. And honestly, I don't think you'll find a PVR user who's watching habits weren't changed by owning one.