Well, there are very many people who are fans of backing up. I was merely giving an idea of the process involved if you wish to do so.

Besides, Bitt's point was that it is impossible to get certain [most] shows on DVD. I'm not a Greg the Bunny fan, but I seriously doubt that the show will ever be on DVD.

Then there's shows that are on DVD, but I consider as much a crime to buy as to burn myself. If I wanted to own every episode of Dragonball and Drgonball Z on DVD, I'd have to spend upwards of $3000! I'm also not backing them up, because that would take a heck of a lot of DVDs, but I could if I wanted to, and it would be much cheaper.

Like I said in my post, I'm getting it to the point where I can complete the process fairly quickly. Besides, I doubt the people on your ReplayTV boards acheived the speedy extraction process overnight.

Currently, I use a program to extract the video. I use another to split and mux the files into an mpg, and I can then burn the file using TMPGEnc DVD Author. That is three steps, but they can still be improved on.