When you flip around during sports, is it to do something else during commercials and other downtime or is it because you want to watch both games. (I can understand why you might want to watch it live.)

I have three suggestions.
  1. Again, I understand the live thing, but if you set it up to record your game, but then don't start watching it until half an hour or so into it, you'll be able to fast-forward through the commercials and whatnot as you get to them. You might have to adjust that delay time, as there's a lot of waiting in sports.
  2. If you got a DirecTV TiVo, you could record both games at the same time. I don't have one, so I don't know how easy it would be to swap between the two, but it's a possibility.
  3. You could just bypass the PVR for your sporting events and watch them as you always have.
Oh, there's a fourth option, actually. Buy multiple PVRs and hook them up to separate inputs on your TV. That might get a little expensive, though.

Otherwise, don't worry about flipping channels. It's not a big deal. I was a huge flipper before my TiVo, but I came to realize that it was because I wanted to watch some TV, but couldn't really find anything on. But one you get a PVR, it records stuff that you want to watch when you're not interested so that its available when you are. Even if it's just Barney Miller reruns.