I suppose I'd have more respect for it if cops ever drove the limit, but every time I see them, they're either going the same 10-15MPH over the limit, just like everyone else, or are driving 5MPH less than the limit just to freak everyone out (I assume -- I can't see any other reason they'd be doing that).

This is what really gets me. I got a ticket a few weeks ago, and after driving away at 54mph (I95 around Boston still has a 55mph limit) the cop flew past me at about the speed that I had been doing before getting stopped.

The most dangerous driving that I've ever seen was a NY state trooper. He pulled a U-turn on an interstate, turning into the left lane about 100yds in front of us. My wife had to stamp on the brakes. Of course, he didn't have any lights on, or indicate any intention. My wife decided that she didn't want to be anywhere near this lunatic so changed lanes into the right lane and slowed down. Unfortunately this didn't work as the cop then changed lanes into the middle lane (again no signal) but didn't do the usual accelerate to 100mph thing. So he's about 30 yds ahead of us in the middle lane doing about the same speed as we are. A half mile down the road he suddenly, without warning or indication, swerves across our lane whilst braking hard, and then pulls a U-turn and drives the wrong way up a ramp.

Shit like that really pisses me off. If I had done either of hose manovoeurs then I'd have been given a costly ticket. Both of them would have probably lost my driving priviledges. But cops routinely get away with them.

But I'm ranting. Back on topic;

Most tickets in the US are written under civil law, not criminal. Anyone can bring a civil case in a court. I wonder whether it would be possible to motivate enough people online to start bringing speeding troopers to justice too? I wonder if this would translate to an opinion change amongst state troopers and lead to a raising of speed limits to sensible speeds?