Well, while lots of people here (Croatia) use cell phones while driving (which is legal if you have any kind of hands-free gear, even just an earpiece), seeing people read (and not just glancing at a map but actually read a newspaper or a book) while driving in LA was genuinely shocking to me. Likewise, cup holders are still not common on these shores.

Driving lessons do tend to be somewhat more thorough here. I think (it was 25 years ago) there is something like 10 hours of theory followed by 20-30 hours of driving with an instructor. Test includes written and practical part, and even first aid is kind of covered. One also has to pass a medical checkup (things like epilepsy are disqualifying, while high blood pressure, need for glasses or diabetes will earn you recurrent mandatory checkups every five or so years). However, both driving instruction and test are done in immediate environment, so that I, for exemple, never overtook another car on two-lane road before getting my license, while my cousin from the country never drove on divided highway or passed through semaphore-regulated intersection...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos Q#5196 MkII #080000376, 18GB green MkIIa #040103247, 60GB blue