Quote:
And then you're saying that any opinion but your own is wrong, and it's wrong of the government to support any opinion but that that is congruent to your own. Yes?
No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is, if the government insists on being involved, I'm going to give my opinion. I do happen to believe that my opinion is correct, and if that's arrogant I guess I'll have to admit that I am. But I think I'm not alone, then. Most people who have opinions think theirs are correct, just ask those on the board who dislike Bush so much. I'll bet most of them voted their opinion when given the chance.

But even on top of that, I’ve already said that while I believe homosexual marriage to be wrong, since I can’t force people to obey my moral code I’d support civil unions as a compromise. As an aside, on this issue I was more with Kerry than Bush, though I realize this was a point of contention for many liberals.

Quote:
And forcing your opinions onto others has always been the territory of tyrants.
Once again, my stance has been that I don't want someone else's opinion forced onto me. I'll go for a compromise, but if it comes down to "marriage is x" or "marriage is y", then I don't see what's wrong with my backing my opinion.

Quote:
I'd be more tolerant, if I were you.
I try to do the best I can to respect other individuals in a culture of such diversity and still hold true to the faith that drives me. I probably get it wrong at times; I'm not infallible by any stretch of the imagination. What I strive for is to treat everyone with civility, even when our opinions differ. To me, that is the defining of tolerance.