Quote:
Would you support a change in your state's Constitution that would ban 'living in sin'? What about a change in the US Constitution? If a presidential candidate campaigned on such a platform would it make you more likely to vote for him?
Absolutely not. As I've said many times already, I don't think you can force people to be moral. I ultimately agree with Doug that the purpose of the law is to keep people from hurting one another. Unless a sin has drastic enough earthly consequences (such as murder), it should remain in the realm of personal freedom. My opposition to legal gay marriage is not an attempt to make homosexuals live according to my moral values.

I tried to talk my sister out of her decision, but it was her decision to make. The law doesn’t recognize that relationship one way or the other, nor should it. If it started regarding it as a marriage, I’d object. That is, I’d object to a man and woman being considered married if there is no long-term (“till death do us part”) commitment to on another.

Quote:
What about a constitutional change to enforce marriage where pregnancy is concerned? After all, it would prevent further sin. Would you support a candidate who espoused this position?
No. Wedding for the sake of a pregnancy can absolutely destroy a couple and their child if they don’t understand the commitment they’re making. Marriage is a HUGE commitment and responsibility, and if the decision is made under coercion could result in even more sin and painfulness.

As a matter of fact, when my sister got pregnant, the first question my family asked was whether she should get married before or after the child. No one even paused to consider whether non-marriage was even a choice. I sat down with my sister and talked to her about the huge commitment marriage was, and that while a healthy marriage would probably be a better environment for raising a child, if that was her only thought she might end up miserable and with a child in an even worse position. She took this advise very seriously and decided that she and her boyfriend really wanted to make that commitment and so they did. They are a very happy, very loving couple and good friends of ours. She is one of the best mother's I've ever met and her child is great. I've known other couples who've forced themselves into marriage that have become miserable and embittered beyond words.