How much did you spend on your TV? Without including the price of your TV, it's not a fair comparison.

Also, try stuffing your Gamecube, a controller, a TV, a car battery, and a power inverter in your pocket. And then cooardinate amongst your friends who brings the ethernet switch. (Apologies to tman)

Comparing a handheld gaming system to a console system is silly. Your laptop is likely less powerful than your desktop, but you probably paid more for it. Of course, that assumes that you want a handheld gaming system or laptop. If you don't, though, it seems silly to argue the merits.

Personally, I think the PSP looks great and the DS looks mediocre. Part of this has to do with the physical unit itself, some of which is subjective, some of which isn't. (Again, I think that the PSP screen is much, much, better than the DS screen(s).) I don't like the concept of the stylus. I find it hard to believe that it's easy to poke at the screen quickly with one hand while holding it in the other, especially with fast games like Metroid is liable to be. I just think that it's an inapproprate controller, though I understand where they're coming from. It's an interesting innovation, I just don't think that it works.

All that being said, $250 is an exorbitant price. The DS is half the price, basically. (I can see where some of that savings came from, too.) The games are not cheap, either.