Actually American brands can be riced out as easily as anything else. Who hasn't seen a VW Beetle with huge rear spoiler decked out to look like a porsche by now?? And how many Neons have you seen with Viper racing stripes? Come on. And Camaros and Mustangs are big players in the domestic rice scene. According to the author of the rice boy page, it does not refer to the nationality of the car nor the driver. http://www.riceboypage.com/what_is_riceboy/ read carefully.

Anyway, it is somewhat uncool to target a raced modified japanese car and put it down by calling it riced out when it is not.

Here's an story, a while ago, I worked on a reporting engine that for some reason would not print shades of gray to a postscript printer. It rendered the shades of gray as hash marks. I spent quite a while on there, and worked out that the postscript engine was incorrectly sending this to the printer that way, and I ended up getting adobe to fix this, and send a fix out to my client. It completely corrected the problem (now correctly prints gray tones) with what amounted to a driver upgrade. One of the programmers on their side pointed out that I did not really "fix" the problem with lines of code and called the fix a hack. Several months into the project, when working on a good deal of actual code, during a code review, several people did not even bother to look at the code because they didn't want to look at a bunch of hacks, or that they have a good impression that I was "just a hacker" and don't know much about programming or development.

Anyway, if someone spends a good deal of time working on a car's engine, doing all the research and testing and putting in quality parts in a modest fashion without a lot of pomp and rice, and then have somebody look at the car and go "gee that's a japanese car, that's so riced out..." -- i see it this as an almost childish attempt to put down someone's hard work, in a rather cruel misrepresentative way. It's not cool.

Calvin